Cubic showcases automated driving innovation @ CES
Cubic, Microsoft, NXP Semiconductors, & auto mobility partners showcase innovations for safe, secure, and personalized automated driving at CES® 2017
At CES® 2017 from January 4-8 in Las Vegas, Cubic Telecom, Microsoft, NXP Semiconductors (NASDAQ: NXPI), IAV and a number of auto mobility partners, including Cubic Telecom, Esri, and Swiss Re, will showcase their collective vision of safe and secure end-to-end mobility through a highly automated driving demonstration and experience.
From the Gold Lot/North Plaza NP-2, CES attendees can take a test drive in a highly automated vehicle to understand how cloud and artificial intelligence can enable personalized in-car experiences. Attendees will see how cars securely “talk” to other cars, how they monitor what is happening in their surroundings to improve safety and how cars can adapt to different driving styles to deliver more personal driving experiences. Participants will also learn how these emerging technologies will enable new, flexible insurance models.
The following technology will be integrated into the conceptual demonstration at CES:
- Microsoft will showcase future scenarios where artificial intelligence bots can help improve driver safety, engagement and integration with calendars and personal preferences. Microsoft will also analyze current traffic situations and pedestrian density in real-time based on sensor data such as V2X, radar, camera, and LiDar, using Microsoft’s Azure cloud.
- NXP Semiconductors will showcase improved road safety and traffic flow via secure communications between vehicles (V2V) and between vehicles and the surrounding infrastructure (V2I). Use cases will include collision warnings, intelligent traffic lights, and vulnerable road user detection at intersections — all based on NXP’s automotive RoadLINK products. NXP cooperates with Delphi and Savari for the onboard and roadside units.
- Full 4G LTE connectivity by Cubic Telecom powers high-quality, always-on infotainment along with access to competitive bundled service plans that include Wi-Fi hotspot services, personal apps, and more.
- Highly automated driving technology developed by IAV. Automated driving is a major contributor in the quest to improve urban congestion and its associated pollution. The highly automated driving vehicle is capable of connecting with infrastructure, pedestrians and Microsoft’s Azure cloud to enable the vehicle to automatically react safely in its surrounding.
- mapping and spatial analytics technology, which talks to Microsoft’s Cortana, provides the geospatial context to increase safety on the road and overall driver experience. Esri’s enterprise GIS platform services in the Azure Cloud provide the geographic content and analytics to better understand driver behavior, predict road conditions to improve traffic flow, and share connected car sensor data within the ecosystem. These features allow smart cities to act faster to new issues such as fixing unsafe pothole locations or removing hazardous objects on the road.
- Swiss Re’s smart insurance models simulate personalized, flexible insurance coverage using Microsoft Azure technology to offer future connected mobility solutions.
“As cars get smarter, they need more software and analytics capabilities,” said Kevin Dallas, corporate vice president of business development for Microsoft. “This collaboration at CES 2017 is another example of how we work together to continue testing, to see what sticks and to help automakers bring truly personalized experiences to drivers that learn unique behaviors and can make improvements over time.”
“Self-driving cars must be perfectly safe and secure,” said Lars Reger, senior vice president and CTO of automotive at NXP Semiconductors. “This requires firstly: an array of high-performance sensors, secondly: a powerful detection and sensor fusion system complemented with cloud connectivity, and thirdly: an efficient system play with industry leaders. We are happy to see all of this come together in our joint showcase at CES.”
“IAV has several test vehicles demonstrating the current state of this future technology in Europe and in the United States,” said Karsten Schulze, senior vice president of active safety & driver assistance at IAV. “Those vehicles have already covered a huge number of miles, without almost any intervention from the driver.”
CES attendees interested in seeing the live connected vehicle demonstration can participate in a drive event, located at the Gold Lot of the LVCC North Plaza / NP-2 from January 5-8. Executives from all participating companies will be onsite to detail the technology.
Cubic Telecom is a global connectivity platform company that offers mobility solutions that power connectivity for leading Internet of things (IoT), machine-to-machine (M2M) and mobile device companies across the globe.
An expert in Connected Intelligence, Cubic Telecom enables global scalability with local connectivity anytime, anywhere. Cubic provides connectivity in over 100 countries; the most robust network, device and retail partnerships worldwide; and flexible over-the-air (OTA) device management for clients and partners.
Cubic creates connectivity where there was none before, with a belief in the future of things: a future where everything is connected. Cubic’s vision of interconnectivity will improve lives, and make the world a more interesting and intelligent place to be. Clients which also believe in this work include Audi, Panasonic, Volkswagen, Woolworths and Rakuten.
Based in Dublin Ireland, Cubic Telecom’s partners and customers include some of the world’s leading Fortune 100 tablet and notebook manufacturers, retailers, and M2M and automotive companies. The company is privately held with over €75 million in funding by Audi Electronics Venture GmbH, Qualcomm, Valid, Enterprise Ireland and the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund, among others.
What do you imagine?
At Cubic, we imagine a future where everything is intelligent and connected - where life gets better for everyone. We're looking for partners with big ideas: people who want to move the future forward.
Connect with us today. We can make it happen.